Monday, September 27, 2010

One Month Down...

Hey guys,
Sorry for the big gap between entries. It has been a tough first month. Especially being away from the guys while they are on the road. I have been staying here at home doing my physical therapy and basically living on the couch waiting for the game to start on TV.  It's a lot tougher watching the games on TV rather than being there in person. Being the competitor and teammate that I am, you can understand how I feel about not being able to be there.

We have had a tough roadtrip, and the season really is coming down to the last few days, which is what everybody expected. But I have all the faith in our guys as well as the new guys that have been thrust into this playoff-style atmosphere with no major league experience. Brandon Beachy and Mike Minor have really stepped into a tough situation, but if I know the Braves' organization, I know they found quality guys that will help us put up some wins to help us grab a spot in the playoffs.   

Today marks 40 days since my surgery. I was able to get my brace off at 30 days, which has been an awesome step in this journey. It was so bulky and I hated sticking out in a crowd just doing daily errands. I already have full range of motion and my arm is feeling pretty good. Even when you are 100% you feel about the little things, but when you're injured, some of the smallest things can sting. Opening doors, shaking somebody's hand, and high fiving in the dugout sometimes catch me off guard. Overall though, I am really happy with the progression so far.  When it comes to the physical therapy part, I drive 30 minutes up Peachtree Industrial Blvd to Gwinnett Medical Center and Sports Rehabilitation.  Lloyd (Atlanta Braves PT) works alongside Brian and Collin to help people recover from surgeries like mine as well as knee, hip, and other injuries everyday people experience. Every day that I show up, seeing autographed photos on the wall of athletes such as Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Tim Hudson, Mike Gonzalez, Octavio Dotel and many others gives me the confidence in knowing that this process works. SO many of those guys went through surgery and continued to have many unbelievable years afterwards.  I think being as young as I am really helps in this situation. Knowing how much work and effort it took to fulfill my dream of playing major league baseball helps me realize the kind of work that I will need to put into this rehabilitation. But the people I have in my corner will make me that much stronger through the recovery process.

I think at 4 months, once i get a baseball in my hand, it will help speed up the process and help me see the light at the end of the tunnel.  In the meantime, I need to stay positive and try to help the team in any way that I can.  Looks like my cheerleading career has reached an all-time high! 

Thanks for all of the support and I appreciate your comments on my last blog entry. It makes me feel good knowing that I have people who understand the difficult situation I am in.  

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to get worried about you! ;-) Thanks for the update! I hope to see ya at the field this weekend cheering in the dugout! Keep smiling! There is a light at the end of this tunnel and you'll get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep fighting it Meds! You may have not impressed a whole bunch of people with the way you pitched, or the numbers you put up, but the Braves won when you pitched, and that was all that mattered to you. Maybe that's why they fought so hard to get you a "W" all the time. Get your own "W" and kick this rehab in the rear. My bets are on you being the fastest TJ surgery recovery of all time. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meds keep strong at rehab. I've done two big ones-- shoulder and knee. Rehab sometimes doesn't show great progress for all the work you put in and then -- all of a sudden -- big strides! It's like getting over a hump and omoving on to the next level.

    The Braves need you back strong. I love your pitching style and guts. You are going to be a big part of this team for a long time. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Kris. I think it's been pretty clear over the past couple months how important you were to the Braves rotation. Can't wait to see you get some clutch innings down the stretch next September!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you do rehab the way you play the game you will be back soon and pitching better than ever. We miss you but look forward to the pennant drive in 2011. You'll be leading the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update Kris! You've got a lot of people pulling for ya...can't wait to see you out there pitching again. You were awesome, and you are going to be even better when you get back. Hang in there, I've been through an ACL rehab and know that while these kind of things go disgustingly slow up front, as the months go on things really do pick up, and jump forward, and before you know it, there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Keep updating us all, there are a lot of us out here that really do care and are interested in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KEEP IT UP MEDS! We need you back next year more than anything. If it wasn't obvious to people when you went out it is now, you mean so much to this team!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see the rehab and recovery is going ahead of schedule. Hope to see you as a September callup helping the pen out next year, and back in the rotation for 2012. You rocked this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss you dude, I hope everything is going well.
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPA HAPPA TO BOOMER--HAPPY 25TH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kris,

    I feel your pain when it comes to having a season ending elbow surgery. I tore my tendon in my elbow while playing college ball, and it ended my baseball career. I can only imagine what it must feel like to make it to the major league level and have a big set back like the one you are going through. I have been a Braves fan since '94 and I actually met you at Citi Field this year, thanks for the autographed ball, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't know if you're still checking this but it was great to see you celebrating with the team last night after Hinske's bomb!

    Tell Brooksy to keep his head up Braves nation is still behind all of you and he's included!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kris, I'm so glad I discovered your blog (thanks to Peter Moylan's Twitter feed). I've been a big fan ever since you signed an autograph for me in Denver during the '09 season, and especially since your great success in '10. I was totally gutted to see you go down!

    I'm a physical therapy student at the University of Utah, and will actually be doing my Doctoral Project on rehab from Tommy John surgery, so I am excited to gain a little extra insight from your experience. Hope to get another update soon. Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Kris,

    You have become one of my favorite Braves players since last year, and I'm glad Peter Moylan put this blog on his twitter. It's a great initiative, its great to see you being proactive and not letting this get you down. I know you will come back stronger and smarter. Keep up the good work and the faith and all will be well.

    Many great pitchers have dealt with this and have come back playing even better baseball, and I know you will do the same. Take care and I look forward to seeing you out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Kris,
    Glad to find a way to find out how you are doing...hope rehab is going well....I know it is tough...know there are people pulling for you....i know the Braves missed you after the injury....you prob don't remember this but my boys and I rode the elevator with you after the nats series in June...you were so nice and held the elevator...my boys were impressed :)hang in there and work hard :)
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you ever going to update this blog?

    ReplyDelete